If you have a smaller kitchen with limited counter and drawer space, you may have to be picky about which kitchen gadgets and appliances you can own.
The best under cabinet can opener can save space while still allowing you to have a vital kitchen appliance that you will use frequently. We’ve rounded up some under cabinet electric can openers and manual jar openers to free up space in your kitchen.
- Hands free operation
- Dimensions (inches): 14 x 9 x 3
- Weight (lbs): 2.7
- Cuts along the side, not top
- Dimensions (inches): 4.67 x 5.01 x 10.2
- Weight (lbs): 3.1
- Made in America
- Dimensions (inches): 8.2 x 7.6 x 0.7
- Weight (lbs): 0.45
- Built-in knife sharpener & bottle opener
- Dimensions (inches): 5.5 x 8.3 x 8.4
- Weight (lbs): 1.12
Best Under Cabinet Can Opener Reviews
1.Black & Decker CO85 Spacemaker Can Opener
- This can opener automatically shuts off, so you don’t have to worry about dangerous accidents.
- It is multi-purpose, which is excellent if you are short on space.
- It opens standard size cans and larger cans, meaning you won’t need an additional can opener.
- Some users had difficulty mounting it based on their cabinet types.
- The removed lid is sharp, so you will want to be careful during handling.
The Black & Decker CO85 Spacemaker Can Opener is more than just an under cabinet can opener. It will also sharpen knives and open bottles, making it an excellent use of space, especially in smaller kitchens where space is limited. The can opener is also hands-free, making it a convenient option for busy cooks.
The Spacemaker can opener is designed to be used under flat-bottomed cabinets. It comes with several screws to accommodate different situations, and the manufacturer suggests two people for installation.
The blade is made out of durable stainless steel. The body of the can opener is made of sturdy white plastic, making the outside reasonably simple to clean. It also contains cord storage, so you don’t have to leave it plugged in and can save space, a nice safety feature.
Ease of Use
The Spacemaker is reasonably easy to use. Simply lift the lever, insert your can, and then press down on the lever. The machine will stop once it is finished, and you can lift the lever to remove your can.
The best part of the Spacemaker Under Cabinet can opener is it serves three purposes: can opener, bottle opener, and knife sharpener. If you live in a smaller space, such as an apartment or RV, you can save valuable counter and drawer space with this product.
2. Hamilton Beach Smooth Touch Electric Automatic Can Opener
- The removed lid has a smooth edge, meaning you don’t have to worry about slicing your fingers.
- The can opener only touches the can and never comes in contact with the food.
- It’s easy to use, even for those who don’t have strong hands or fingers.
- This can opener is automatic, but it is not hands-free.
- While it opens standard and pop-top cans, it does not open larger cans.
The Hamilton Beach Smooth Touch Electric Automatic Can Opener sits on your kitchen counter and can fit neatly under the cabinet area or in a corner. It works with most types of cans and has a sleek black and chrome style that will look nice on your kitchen counter. It is one of the most popular under the cabinet can openers.
The Smooth Touch can opener is made of durable plastic and heavy-duty stainless steel. It’s simple to clean and holds up use after use. The cord stores safely inside of the machine when not in use.
Ease of Use
The Hamilton Beach Smooth Touch is ideal for users who have reduced finger strength due to arthritis or other ailments. It can remove lids from all types of cans, including pop-top cans. The lever is also easy to hold down.
To use, you simply lift the lever, place your can underneath, and then lower the lever. Hold down until the can has gone completely around. Lift the lever again and remove your can.
This can opener cuts under the lip of the can, not only leaving a smooth edge but also preventing spills and other messes. You also don’t have to worry about cleaning the can opener itself, as the blade never touches the food inside the can. You can also rest easy knowing the blade will not contaminate your food.
3. The Grip Jar Opener
- The Grip Jar Opener only requires one hand to open a jar.
- The under-the-cabinet mount makes it easily accessible.
- It’s perfect for users with weak hand muscles who struggle to grip lids.
- It doesn’t work as well on lids with softer materials.
- It may not be helpful if your hands aren’t strong enough to hold up a heavy jar.
There are so many times when you have a jar that you cannot open – either your hands aren’t strong enough, or the lid has formed a suction seal. If you have a jar opener, it’s likely buried in the junk drawer and challenging to find. The Grip Jar Opener solves these problems.
This jar opener mounts under your cabinet so that it is always handy and opens virtually any size jar or bottle. It can open something as small as a bottle of nail polish all the way up to a large jar of pickles.
The outer casing of The Grip Jar Opener is made of ABS plastic so it’s durable and easy to wipe clean. The blades are made of carbon steel, meaning you can open jars effortlessly and will never have to sharpen them.
Ease of Use
The Grip Jar Opener is quite easy to install and use. To install, remove the adhesive, stick the unit to the underside of your chosen cabinet, and then use the provided screws to secure.
Once you’re ready to use your jar opener, simply insert the lid you wish to open into the V-shape and turn clockwise to unscrew. It takes minimal effort to open almost any jar.
The carbon steel blades ensure that this jar opener will open even the toughest lids. It’s much easier to use than other jar openers that you sit on top of the jar and use to get a better grip. This jar opener doesn’t require very much effort at all to open a stubborn lid.
4. Black + Decker Spacemaker Multi-Purpose Can Opener
- The device has a door that hides all of the tools so that your kitchen looks clean and uncluttered.
- The Spacemaker Can Opener turns off automatically, making it a safe choice.
- The power cord is stored inside the device, so you don’t have to clutter your counters.
- The knife sharpener can be difficult to use.
- It is a little more difficult to install on cabinets that aren’t flat.
The Black + Decker Spacemaker Multi-Purpose Can Opener is one of the best under cabinet can openers because it serves so many functions while taking up very little space. In addition to opening cans, it will also open bags, sharpen knives, and open bottles. This device saves space and saves your hand strength.
This can opener’s blades are made of stainless steel, making it durable and long-lasting. The outer casing is made of hard plastic and can easily be cleaned. The blade can also be removed for cleaning, but the door doesn’t come off.
Ease of Use
The Spacemaker Multi-Purpose Can Opener is relatively easy to install and comes with a few different screws to fit different cabinet types. You will need a drill and another person to help install it.
To open a can, simply open the cover, lift the lever, and place the can underneath. Press down and let the can spin completely around. Lift the lever and remove the can and lid.
This device is hands-free, so if you have weak hand muscles or only have the use of one hand, you should be able to use it. The can opener allows you to open cans on your own without having to hurt your hands.
The best under cabinet can openers have several functions, so you can save even more space and have easy access to four tools in one. While you may primarily want a can opener, you may also enjoy the benefits of having a knife sharpener, plastic bag cutter, and a bottle opener so close at hand.
The swinging door also keeps all equipment and cords neatly tucked away, keeping your kitchen organized. It can open almost any size cans, even those larger than the standard size, but will not work on industrial cans. The knife sharpener, bottle opener, and bag cutter are all manual, while the can opener is electric.
Adding an under counter can opener to your arsenal of kitchen gadgets can make your cooking go more smoothly while freeing up valuable countertop real estate. Plus, these products are great for those with weakened hand strength.
Choosing one that serves multiple purposes can make it even more functional and give you added room on your counters and in your drawers.